Don’t let that old laptop gather dust! Donate it to a school so a child can continue learning at home!
This searchable and zoomable map shows all the schools who have asked for equipment donations and all the organisations who can clean and refurb tech for re-use. Search using your town or postcode to find those nearest to you.
BEFORE DONATING ANY EQUIPMENT PLEASE CONTACT THE SCHOOL OR
REFURBISHING ORGANISATION TO CHECK THEIR REQUIREMENTS
PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP AT A SCHOOL WITH LAPTOPS WITHOUT CHECKING FIRST AS THEIR IT DEPARTMENT MAY NOT BE ABLE TO COPE WITH REBUILDING MACHINES
MAP KEY: When zoomed in, schools are shown as , refurbisher organisations as .
Lots of us have old, unused laptops at home. Don’t let it gather dust! Donate it to a school child so they can continue learning at home.
There are over 70 places who will accept donations of laptops tablets and PCs, clean and configure them and pass on to schools and families. They are all on the map, enter your town or postcode to see who is nearby. They are marked on the map.
A number of organisations will come and collect your spare tech (in a COVID-safe way) for refurb and distribution. Contact them directly:
- The Turing Trust collect nationwide
- TechInclusionUk collect nationwide
- DonateDigital accept donations by post or will collect
- ComputerAid collect nationwide from businesses only
- The Vodaphone Tech Appeal accepts tech donations by post and works with Barnados to get tech to children who need it.
- Business2Schools accept redundant tech from businesses nationwide to refurbish & redistribute to schools
- The ADISA DAFA program enables organisations to donate any redundant or spare infrastructure which can then be resold or recycled
Directories of multiple local projects
- The Restart Project have a directory of local projects who will refurb and pass on unwanted tech (they are all on our map, too)
- LetsLocalise – Links businesses and individuals with schools in their area that are accepting donations. This covers much of England.
London and South East
- Little Lives collect in the London area
- Ready Tech Go can collect in Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington & Chelsea and Westminster but will take donations by post from anywhere
- Every Child Online accept donations across Essex.
- ITVET Laptops for School refurbish laptops in Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.
- Saracens Foundation accept donations from London and Hertfordshire businesses.
West & South-West
- Cosmic / Positive People Accept donations in the Devon area.
- DigiLocal accept laptop donations from across the West of England and also accept donations to pay for 4G connectivity.
- Laptops 2 Kids accept donations from the Herefordshire area.
- Wiltshire Digital Drive accept donations across Wiltshire to distribute to school children in the county.
- Laptops For Kids accept donations are in Sheffield area.
- Digital Access West Yorkshire will collect from addresses in West Yorkshire and have drop-off points
- Hull and East Yorkshire Children’s University accept donations and devices from Hull and East Yorkshire.
- Lancaster and Morecambe Makers accept donations from the Lancaster and Morecambe area.
- ZenTec Network Solutions accept donations from the North West area of England.
Donating your tech safely
If you are donating tech, you should make sure it is in suitable condition with personal data removed. If you at donating directly to a school, most school IT teams (often one person – or a shared resource) do not have capacity to refurbish tech from scratch. For your own security we recommend clearing data using a product like Blancco then resetting to factory settings – here are the instuctions for Windows 10 – take the “Remove Everything” option.
If you want to just safely & completely wipe the hard disk, use a product like KillDisk. WARNING – this will remove the operating system and leave the computer unable to boot from the hard drive. If you have the operating system installation disks and licence, then this is the cleanest option, especially if you can re-install the operating system.
If this all sounds too complicated, just contact one of the refurbishing organisations on this page and they can do it for you.
Before donating equipment, please contact the school or refurbishing organisation first, and check what their requirements are. Do not donate any computer, tablet or phone that may still have sensitive personal data stored on it.